Thursday, March 27, 2008

Elite and masses

In the Elite Model, the policy making flows downward. The policies are designed by those with wealth and power. The policies will then have the greatest impact on the majority of the population with lower economic status and no political influence. Often times the majority of the population does not have the proper facts or knowledge concerning any given situation and are more easily led by the elite. C. Wright Mills depicts the Elite Model as a pyramid of power; the elite policy makers are on the top of the pyramid and the masses are on the bottom of the pyramid. (Mills, 1956)

I am one of the masses and I want to have the proper facts and knowledge. If your numbers are challenged it does not mean I do not agree, it means I am on a fact finding mission. If I post some data then provide your case for disputing the post, but don't treat others as if they are not part of the elite.

No comments: