Friday, March 25, 2011

If the need should arise

I was traveling the back roads of the fine state of Arkansas a few days ago. While there I stopped for a visit with some relatives of which I have not seen in a few years. It was a rural community and my cousin took me for breakfast early and I got to meet the locals who gathered at a round table and drink coffee. For a bit felt kinda like at the other round tables I visit from time to time.

The topic of government spending came up and it appears this local community is in the same financial shape as most governmental entities these days. The community is running short on revenue. The solution per the consensus of the table is do like everyone else and cut the expenses. "Quit trying to dig into my pocket" was the comment by one local. Then as I continued to set and listen another local entered the doors and grabbed a cup of coffee and he proceeded to fill the other cups full around the table. He piped right in on the conversation and gave his two bits worth, and it went something like this (wished I had a tape recorder that day):

"Don't need no law enforcement - well equipped to handle such matters if the need should arise.
Don't need no highways, roads, subsidized transportation, etc. - got two feet to meet the need if it should arise. Don't need no parks and recreation facilities - go the woods if the need should arise. Don't need no welfare programs - grow my own if the need should arise. Don't need no public education system - educate my own if the need should arise. Don't need no government programs - create my own if the need should arise. Don't need no military - militia will form if the need should arise. Don't need no judicial system - can judge if the need should arise. Matter of fact if the need should arise I can probably handle most anything if the need should arise."

It is a little crude; however, there is some truth in the simpleness of the message. As always each has to come to his or her own conclusions. Probably would not go poking around the gentleman's vegetable garden.

No comments: